Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Somebody feed me something safe: Vegas Style

I settled in to the hotel around lunch time today and went on a mission for food. Celiac safe food that is relatively healthy and easy for me to dose for insulin. I was starting to get hungry, not in a good way and needed something close by. Not an easy task, as it turns out. I went to the buffet at the Excalibur and asked the hostess about food safety for Celiacs. She had never heard this word before and suggested I speak to the "chef". He walked me through the buffet pointing out things that were "safe" (I know buffets are dangerous areas for cross contamination but I was focusing on ingredients for this expedition). He pointed out several things but some items he declared "safe" had either soy sauce or worchestershire or other sauce types in them. The more I spoke with him the less safe I felt. He even suggested I go to a restaurant as they would be better at making me a safe meal. So I took his advice and got the H outta there.

Fast food is out of the question as it would likely be more dangerous than a buffet. There was a Marble Slab BUT I didn't want to have to take a shwack of insulin and that really isn't a meal anyway. I ended up at Starbucks with a soy latte feeling quite sorry for myself and wondering what I was going to do for food over the next 4 days. I decided that the Italian restuarant nearby was unlikely to have a hot meal for me but they MUST have safe salad.

Buca di Beppo has a lovely Apple Gargonzola salad that is apparently safe. I had a small for $15 but it really could have fed 3 people (at least) for their entire meal. When I was done the bowl was still mostly full. I sat at the bar and the bartender happens to also be a Billy Idol impersonator from Seattle now living in Vegas to try and get his show sold here. Nice guy. Good salad. Crisis averted.

No comments:

Post a Comment